Cleaning of vinyl plank floors is essential for achieving a clean home space and vital to the longevity of the vinyl floor. Pine-sol is one of the best options for use as a cleaning agent to accomplish an undoubtedly spotless vinyl plank floor. Today, we get an in-depth process on how to use Pine-sol on vinyl plank floors, as well as tips and benefits of using Pine-Sol. Let’s start by knowing briefly about the cleaning agent, Pine-Sol.
What is Pine-Sol and what does it do
Pine-Sol is a multi-purpose cleaning agent that acts as a cleaner and disinfectant. The Clorox company owns it. Ever since its inception in 1929, the multi-surface cleaner is among the favorite cleaners of many and comes in a range of products. What makes it even better is that the cleanser leaves a fresh scent on the cleaned surface. Depending on the smell one wants, there is the original Pine-Sol, Lemon fresh, Lavender clean, and Sparking wave to choose from. The cleaning agent is suitable for cleaning nonporous and hard surfaces. Among the main ingredients of Pine-Sol is a glycolic acid that gives the cleaner its microbial properties. It also has alcohol ethoxylates and Propylheptyl ethers. These two are responsible for loosening or cutting off dirt or oil-based residues from the vinyl flooring. Let’s see how Pine-Sol is used for cleaning vinyl plank floors.
How to use pine sol on vinyl plank floors
After assembling all the cleaning apparatus, follow this simple step-by-step guide on how to use Pine-Sol on vinyl plank floors to have a cleaner, scented, and bacteria-free surface.
Before getting started, let’s assemble all the cleaning tools needed for this job.
- Warm water
- Pine-Sol multi-surface cleaner.
- A Broom or a vacuum cleaner.
- Microfiber cloth.
- Mop bucket with a wringer.
Before cleaning the vinyl plank floor with Pine-Sol, vacuum or sweep away loose dirt or residues accumulated over time, this simple first step improves the final results significantly.
After vacuuming the vinyl plank floors, prepare the cleaning solution into a mop bucket. According to Pine-Sol, the recommended mixture ratio is ¼ of a cup to 1 gallon of warm water. One gallon of water is approximately 4 liters. (3.7854 liters, to be precise).
This step is optional but more of a precautionary measure. First, dip the mop into the cleaning solution and test it on a separate vinyl plank to see if there is any reaction from the Pine-Sol. After confirming the result, let’s move on to the cleaning process.
For this step, mop the floor with the cleaning mixture starting from one end of the room towards the entryway or point. Before mopping, wring out the mop to get rid of the extra cleaning solution so that the mopper is just damp and not dripping wet.
With a microfiber cloth or mopper, go through the spots of the vinyl plank with tough stains that could not come out from the previous step. A small drop of Pine-sol without diluting it can be effective for removing tough stains.
After tricky stain removal, rinse the mop with clean water and wring it before going back and mopping the vinyl floor. This step ensures no Pine-Sol residue remains on the flow and prevents stickiness. Furthermore, this last process is optional if one avoids leaving puddles of Pine-Sol cleaning solution on the floor.
You can also use pine sol on vinyl plank floors in the bathroom. To learn the details click here right now.
Benefits of using pine sol
Now that we know how to use Pine-Sol on Vinyl plank floors, here are more pros.
- Pine- Sol wipes out odor-causing bacteria. A typical example is Staphylococcus. This functionality is a long-term solution to those parts of the house that tend to be always smelly, and however much one tries to use a deodorant.
- Pine-Sol removes and cleans any dirt stains and scuff marks. The multi-surface cleaner has surfactants that ease the removal of tough stains.
- Pine-Sol acts as a disinfectant. It is not only cleaner but also kills germs and bacteria. In addition, it contains glycolic acid, which gives it disinfection properties.
- Pine-Sol can be used on multiple surfaces such as kitchen countertops, toilets, and other non-porous surfaces.
- Pine-Sol has a variety of product options to choose from. Depending on the scent you want your vinyl floor to have, choose from Lemon fresh, Lavender clean, and Sparkling wave, or opt-out for the original Pine-Sol.
- Pine-Sol can be converted into a homemade fly-repellent spray. It contains pine oil that flies hate. Mix Pine-Sol with vinegar and water and pour into a spray bottle. Spray away stubborn flies to keep your home clean and fly-free.
- If you are having trouble with pests, use 50/50 warm water and Pine-Sol solution and spray the mixed solution on the garbage cans. The smell of the Pine will repulse the pests.
- Pine can also be used as a pet pee deterrent. When pets pee on the floor, they keep coming to the same spot to pee. This behavior is their way of making the territory by using Ammonia. Pine-Sol lacks Ammonia and so using it to wipe on the surface gets rid of the Ammonia. Getting rid of the Ammonia means the pet won’t return to peeing on the same spot. Try it! However, be sure to thoroughly rinse off the Pine-Sol to prevent any reactions between the cleaner and the pet.
How to Use Pine Sol on Vinyl Plank Floors: Tips
Here are tips to help you achieve a cleaner and brighter look when cleaning vinyl flooring using Pine-Sol.
- Before deciding to use it as your daily cleaner, it is advisable to test the cleaner on a small portion of the vinyl to observe any reactions for the first time.
- Avoid letting pools of water on the vinyl plank flooring to prevent warping and causing streaks.
- Use doormats to prevent dirt, chemicals, and grit from reaching the vinyl flooring as a preventive measure.
- For pet owners, check the ingredients that come with the cleaner to ensure that they are safe for use with pets around.
- Avoid mixing bleach with Pine-Sol. According to the Department of Health, acid (Pine-Sol contains glycolic acid) should not be combined with chlorine bleach.
- Get into a habit of sweeping your vinyl flooring regularly, especially flooring with high area traffic.
- Avoid dragging appliances over the vinyl flooring. Instead, use plywood sheathing or paneling.
- Once in a while, opt for a vinyl flooring cleaner homemade mixture that is an alternative cleaning agent that uses vinegar and baking soda. Cleaning vinyl plank flooring with vinegar has been proven to have great results and is advisable for pet owners.
- Fit heavy appliances and furniture with protectors to prevent them from causing dents to the vinyl plank floor.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaning tools such as brushes with stiff bristles or steel wire when scrubbing the vinyl plank floor.
- Rinse the vinyl floor to remove any soap scum that attracts dirt particles.
- Keep a spray bottle handy with a Pine-Sol solution for quicker cleaning occurrences. The same can also be used for spraying on spots notorious for flies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to rinse floors after mopping with Pine-Sol?
It is not necessary to rinse-off Pine-Sol from the floor. However, a point to note is to avoid leaving puddles of Pine-Sol solution on the floor while mopping. This avoidance helps to prevent warping and streaking of the vinyl plank floor in the long run.
Can you use pine sol on vinyl plank floors?
Yes, Pine-Sol works perfectly on vinyl plank floors. Since pine-Sol vinyl plank floors are nonporous and tough, Pine-sol works excellently on them. In addition, pine-Sol has a formula that makes it practical for use on vinyl floors. Also, it has no ammonia. Ammonia causes cracking of vinyl plank floors.
What should you not clean vinyl plank flooring with?
Avoid using shine products, abrasive cleaning tools such as steel wire and brushes with stiff bristles, paste wax or solvent-based polish, and Ammonia-based cleaning solutions. If these products are used on the vinyl plank floor, they dull the film coating, rendering them weak and making them aesthetically unpleasing.
Can you use Fabuloso on vinyl floors?
Yes, Fabuloso can be used as an option for cleaning vinyl floors. However, following the simple instructions on the bottle is always advisable. Following the instructional guide not only helps to avoid the wrong usage of the product but also as a precautionary measure for ensuring the longevity of the vinyl floor.
Proper home care always comes down to technique and the products being used. Cleaning of floors is no exception. Choosing the right products helps in more extraordinary unimagined ways. Being both a cleaner and disinfectant, Pine-Sol saves a spot as a cleaning product. Adapting and shifting to suitable techniques for maintaining our homes is always novel. For instance, after gaining insight on how to use Pine-Sol on Vinyl plank floors, ensuring that all the simple dos and don’ts are followed each time while cleaning vinyl floors is life-changing. Reach out to a nearby favorite home improvement store, grab a Pine-Sol of your choice and give that vinyl plank floor a shine to remember. You can also opt for a homemade vinyl floor cleaner with your chosen ingredients.